Legality of tayammum
“I have been given five [things] which were not given to anyone else before me.
- Allah [swt] made me victorious by awe [by His frightening my enemies] for a distance of one month’s journey.
- The earth has been made for me [and for my followers] a place of offering salah [prayer] and a thing to purify [perform tayammum] therefore, anyone of my followers can offer salah wherever he is at the time of salah.
- The booty has been made halal [lawful] to me yet it was not lawful to anyone else before me.
- I have been given the right of intercession [on the Day of Resurrection].
- Every Prophet used to be sent to his nation only but I have been sent to all mankind.
Surah Al-Ma’idah Chapter 5 Verse 6
O you who believe! When you intend to offer the prayer wash your faces and your hands up to the elbows rub [by passing wet hands over] your heads and [wash] your feet up to the ankles. If you are in a state of janabah [after sexual discharge] purify yourselves [bathe your whole body]. But if you are ill or on a journey or any of you come after answering the call of nature or you have been in contact with women [sexual intercourse] and you find no water then perform tayammum with clean earth and rub therewith your faces and hands. Allah does not want to place you and to complete His Favour to you that you may be thankful.